MY VERY OWN® Baby Rattle
Handcrafted Baby Rattles

MY VERY OWN® Baby Rattle

25.00

My Very Own® Rattle is an elegant update of a traditional woodturner's exercise. It is simply superior to all other rattles and teething toys: more beautiful, more durable, correctly designed, and superbly well crafted.

My Very Own® Rattle is made from the same tree that gives us Maple Syrup. It is the cleanest and most chemically pure of all woods. Maple contains no toxic or bad-tasting substances, unlike Walnut and most tropical woods. There is no paint, lacquer, or oil on My Very Own®Rattle, so Baby can chew safely on the friendly, sweet Maple wood.

My Very Own® Rattle is handcrafted from a single piece of ROCK MAPLE. The Rings are not put on separately! Rock Maple is strong and tightly grained, so our big, sturdy Rattle won't break or splinter. And there's definitely no danger of swallowing.

We recommend My Very Own® Rattle for babies 5 months and older. An infant younger than 5 months may have sufficient strength to grasp a Rattle tightly, but not have sufficient control of their limbs to bring a toy to their mouth and take it away when they desire. Most infants older than 5 months have developed these motor skills and will enjoy teething on My Very Own ®Rattle.
 

PLEASE REMEMBER: Remove Ribbon Before Giving Rattle to Baby!

 

Q:  How can I clean MY VERY OWN®? Is it sterile? 
A:  In its sealed package, MY VERY OWN® is as sterile as the inside of a tree -- probably more so, since much heat is generated in the manufacturing process.  It is more nearly sterile than most other objects in a five-month-old's environment.  It is best if it is not handled too much by other members of the family, and especially not by visitors. 
     MY VERY OWN® may be washed in warm water. However, wiping thoroughly with alcohol is the preferred method.  Use denatured alcohol, available in hardware stores. Alcohol is an effective germicide, much better than "antibacterials", which promote the evolution of resistant strains of bacteria.  
     Better still, use 100 proof Vodka! Yes, Vodka - not a typo! Vodka is pure, food-grade grain alcohol and water, with no additives. After cleaning with alcohol, rub firmly with clean cotton cloth to restore some of the shine. Let it dry thoroughly before returning to child. 
*Do not use rubbing alcohol, antibacterials, or soap. 
*Do not allow rattle to soak.  
*Do not put rattle in oven or otherwise apply heat.  

 

Q: I thought the Denatured Alcohol purchased in hardware stores contained toxic ingredients. Is that true?
A: It is certainly true that we would not want to swallow denatured alcohol, since it is toxic. This is why it kills bacteria and viruses so actively. But all the ingredients are extremely volatile, so they vaporize rapidly, leaving the surface of the rattle completely dry and clean, and leave no residue behind. Once the rattle is dry, it is perfectly safe for teething.
     One of our customers suggested using 100 proof Vodka, which is a fairly strong alcohol-water mixture. We think this is an excellent idea! Vodka is made to drink, so it is "food-safe", but of course it, too, would not be good for a baby to ingest. Once the Vodka has evaporated and the rattle is dry, the rattle is perfectly safe for teething. 

Q:  Will it come apart, especially if it gets wet? 
A:  MY VERY OWN® Rattle is made from a single piece of wood, so it can't come apart. Water will not hurt the Rattle. Moisture, however, will dull the polish of the new rattle.  Remember, there is no lacquer, wax, or oil - the shine is just very fine sanding. After the rattle gets wet (from teething, for example), it may have a soft velvety roughness, which a baby does not mind, and is not a problem. Do not soak the rattle!  It will not come apart, but will need to be dried slowly to prevent cracking. 

Q:  Isn't it too big and heavy?  What if baby hits himself?
A:  This is mostly a question of baby's age.  At 5 months, most babies have the coordination to control the rattle.  Healthy babies do not deliberately injure themselves. 

Q:  Do babies like it?  It's just plain wood.  Babies like bright colors.
A:  The experience of MY VERY OWN(R)Rattle is primarily tactile, not just for babies, but even for adults. Pick one up and feel it.  See what we mean? Older babies (around 10 months and up) enjoy watching the rings as they move them.  Infants prefer MY VERY OWN(R)Rattle because of the textural complexity.  The appeal of the Rattle for an infant is only partially visual, which is why color or the lack of it is not an issue.  Since most adults live in a world which is almost exclusively visual and auditory, they (both infant development professionals and the lay public) tend to neglect tactile sensory development.  The moving rings and complex textures encourage tactile learning, which doesn't always get the emphasis it deserves in a child's development.

MY VERY OWN(R) Rattle meets or exceeds all relevant standards for safety, both
Federally mandated and voluntary, and has been laboratory tested for import into Europe (CE Certified).


The perfect gift for baby showers, maternity, baptism, christening, new baby. Moms will appreciate this classic heirloom toy. Also a great gift for Christmas, Easter, Hannukkah.  Smart mothers want natural wood for teething.

Ribbon color is white.

Usually ships next business day.

 

Add To Cart
MY VERY OWN® Baby Rattle